The National Universities Commission has disclosed that the implementation of the Core Curriculum Minimum Academic Standards will begin by September 2023.

The CCMAS document is meant to serve as a roadmap for universities as they create their program’s curricula.

In order to achieve the nation’s overall goals for education and training, it also aspires to implement the required innovations into the content and delivery of its programmes.

The acting executive secretary of the NUC, Chris Maiyaki, on Wednesday, 23rd August 2023, said at the Stakeholders’ Colloquium on CCMAS in Abuja, that the document would reposition Nigerian universities to be among the best in Africa.

Acting Executive Secretary, NUC, Chris Maiyaki

Maiyaki said that CCMAS would make up 70 per cent of the curriculum while the university decides what to include in the remaining 30 per cent.According to him, the implementation will help sharpen the future of the education sector.

”The role and development of the CCMAS is to ensure commitment in advancing our education and our great nation.“

NUC is primarily dedicated to ensuring quality and global competitiveness of Nigerian universities as well as the graduates we produce.

“The development of the CCMAS went through a painstaking process by bringing experts from our universities comprising of professors, regulatory bodies, Nigerian Economic Summit Group and all stakeholders. 

“The CCMAS reflects global initiative that will equip graduates with knowledge and wherewithal that will advance the development of the nation,” he said.

The Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman, encouraged universities to make optimal use of the 30 per cent university senate’s input.

He said that the skills must be readily applicable to the environment of the university, the country in particular, and the global community in general.

“There is no better place and time than now to develop a strategy that will guide tertiary institutions particularly universities in their mandate to provide appropriate manpower for the country.”

Mamman advised universities to ensure that learning outcomes, skills as well and soft skills were acquired, irrespective of the core discipline.

Story: Christy Dung